Machu Picchu

Mom woke me up at 4:30, I did NOT want to get up. I was thinking in my head: “We’re going to Machu Picchu- wake up, wake up.” But I’m the kinda girl that needs a lot of sleep. I finally got up feeling half awake, half miserable, and half really excited (I know, I know, my math’s all wrong). We got our stuff together went down stairs in the hotel to go eat the bread, jam, and ham breakfast (of course not all together). Then we got up, left the hotel and started walking the short way to the bus station.The night before, we stayed in Aguas Calientes, a very touristy, expensive, little town situated below Machu Picchu. Our dinner that night was terrible pizza topped with what was supposed to be garlic (I felt very sick the day after). Anyway, in the morning, we walked down a street, crossed a bridge and we were at the bus station. We had gotten the bus tickets to Machu Picchu the night before (which I really recommend, because if you do it the day of you’ll be waiting for a very long time) and got straight in line for the buses to Machu Picchu (which come about every 10 minutes). We boarded the bus and started the journey (which was terrifying for mom, and so cool for me) to Machu Picchu. The bus ride was twisty and beautiful and kinda scary.
I’m not gonna share any of the pictures from the bus ride because they’re all blurry, but the bus ride consisted of very beautiful views, mountains, rivers, terrifying cliffs that you’re about to fall off, things like that. We then rolled up to the entrance of Machu Picchu. A hotel is situated right by the gates, which is a bummer because when you start climbing up, up, up, and up you can see it in your view, but it must be really nice to stay there, waking up to see a view of the surrounding mountains. Anyway, we got in the long line to get into Machu Picchu. Surprisingly,  the line moved pretty fast, we were soon in.

The whole reason for waking up early was to see the sun rise, so we walked up to the Sun Gate (where people often take the pictures of Machu Picchu for post cards). Usually it takes an hour or two to get there and we got there in seventeen minutes. Mom just happened to  “forget ” to tell me that fact. I have to admit though that it was pretty magical to see the sunrise at Machu Picchu. We sat down at the Sun Gate  for a while soaking it all in. After about thirty minutes we headed down.

We started walking around in the ruins of Machu Picchu. It was pretty cool- we were walking where Incas might have walked. It was pretty magical. After a while of walking around we decided to sit in the grass. We sat on one of the many terraces (which were used for growing crops during the time of the Incas), looking around at the alpacas (the only reason the alpacas are there is because they ‘mow’ the grass), the surrounding mountains, and the ruins of Machu Picchu behind us. I can’t really explain what it was like to be there. We were starting to feel a little toasty in the sun so we walked around some more, looking at the way all the stones fit perfectly together, hearing all the birds flying over our heads, feeling the sense of magic, tasting the fresh air, and smelling the freshly ‘mowed’ grass.

We sat down again to eat our snack, but was kindly asked not to sit on the wall that we were sitting on, so we got up and started walking again. We came to an alpaca. It was right next to a guy who was sitting on a bench thing (it wasn’t really a bench, it was more of a big stone that you can sit on) paying no attention to the alpaca (who was eating from a little patch of grass right next to the guy) and the alpaca was paying no attention to the him. On the other hand there were about three people taking turns sitting next to the alpaca taking pictures, the alpaca got sick of that and started walking straight towards me and mom, we started walking away to not be in its way but it kept following us finally we walked into a room (well it wasn’t really a room, it was really four stone walls with no roof) filled with so many people that we couldn’t be in there anymore without going nuts so we started walking to the door slowly and stuck our head out, the alpaca was a couple feet away eating grass. A women said to us “They won’t hurt you, you know.” Me and mom laughed we knew that but it was still pretty alarming to see this fully grown alpaca walking towards us with his teeth sticking out.


I was starting to feel pretty tired (we did walk up at 4:30) so we decide to walk slowly towards the exit. I felt pretty sad to be leaving for some reason. I looked back one more time and then it was gone. “If you ever have children, you have to promise me that you’ll bring me and them to Machu Picchu.” Mom paused “And you’ll pay too.” She said as an after thought. “Sure.” I said.


Pictures from Machu Picchu

Pictures from Machu Picchu



  1. Nilda Gomez · July 16, 2013

    Really nice post. Can’t wait to experience this.

  2. Chris · July 16, 2013

    Sick post – just went to machu pichu June 2012 and walked the inca stairs. Once up top the spiritual rush seeing that sun rise was priceless and could not be put into words. Walking amongst the same land and foot steps of the Incas was completely inspiring to me for sure. Keep trekking for sure !! I like to know it as the university of life!!

    • brooklyngirlonthego · July 16, 2013

      Glad you liked the post! Thanks for reading! You’re right you can’t put it into words (I tried).

  3. Ali · July 16, 2013

    This is by far one of the best traveling stories I’ve read by you (so far). Your writing skills have immensely improved over the past few years. I personally really enjoyed your personal veiws on waking up early to running away from alpaca. These little bits of voice made your writing thousands of times better.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s